Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Review (9): Eragon - The Inheritance Cycle

Holy smokes!! (pun not intended) It's been wayyyyy too long since I last read this book, it's technically not supposed to be accurate. *gasp* The review below is meant to be done during Jan 2014, but I just wrote a few notes and I forgot all about it.

So, another 'new' review. I read the Inheritance Cycle in the last quarter of 2012 and I've put off the review till now. Yup. 2 whole years. That's pretty embarrassing.

History time! I first picked Eragon up in mid 2011, and I was hooked onto the book until I was half way through the book. I got a little bored of the travelling and for some reason, I could not pick it up anymore. I've watched the movie and was intrigued by the storyline but I just can't seem to get my book up. So Eragon joined Lord of the Rings in my stack of incomplete books... Until I reread in 2012. Since then, I finally got hooked onto it and from there, I finished the entire series.

Basically, I should've written the review when I was done. I'm kinda regretting this because I can barely remember the details. So I'm going to try to recall as much as I can. If I had all the time in the world, I don't mind rereading the book. Yes, it was such a wonderful story that I am quite looking forward to rereading it. Alas, the lack of time.

I will review the book as the whole series rather than just the standalone book.


(picture taken from here)


(The line up of the series, starting from Eragon, 
followed by Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance.)

Eragon - The Inheritance Cycle
Christopher Paolini

Story sypnosis (in my own words): ... I can't do it man. It's too long ago. You will need to search for the blurb somewhere else because I ain't stealing sypnoses from others. That's the least I can do.

-------

What can I say?

After finally reading through the series, I'm so so so glad that I made myself finish the book. It. Was. Awesome. Eragon became my favourite book of the year... Year 2012, that is. Till now, I doubt I've read any book that really topped that... Oh, maybe "The Legend of Drizzt", but for different reasons as you can see heree... oh what do you know? I have not done that review too. Typical.

1. Stunning visuals... I mean, description.

Eragon had such vivid detail in its description. Author Christopher Paolini mentioned that he drew inspiration by looking at mountains where he lived. Gee, I'm super jealous. He either has really breath-taking mountains to look at, or he has a really outstanding imagination. I love how the world that he paints is not biased towards a certain colour. As you read, you find that the world is very colourful, despite the oppression from the antagonist, Galbatorix.

With Eragon, sometimes it's super easy to visualise what the author was trying to say. Sometimes, not so, but I place that blame on myself more because I tend to speed read and not grab the details.

2. Motivated protagonist

I've decided to only talk about the description and characters because it has been a long time since I read Eragon. The characters in the story are at decently fleshed out, with backstories and characteristics that vary from character to character. They don't have a whole myriad of different personalities, but they are decent. Eragon, however, had enough character development, with a smattering of flaws to balance him nicely. I like that he has a few humbling experiences that made him better.

3. Only gripe: Lousy ending
If there is one thing that I hated in this series, it was the ending. When the author decided to make his trilogy a quadrology, I was ecstatic. But I was really hoping that the ending could have had more closure.

After reading Eragon, I quickly searched through the websites looking for information. Apparently, the author mentioned that he may have novellas and he stated something like Eragon and Arya having long lives. The end of the series was just the beginning for everyone.

Well. we'll see about that. Who knows if your fanbase will still be around when you actually get around to do it :(

EDIT (1st Feb 2015): How can I forget? This is one rare book that has no love triangles!!!

-------

Rating: LOVE IT.

It is with much regret and embarrassment that I am reviewing a book that I don't remember specific details. Nevertheless, the book left such an impression on me that I kept telling people to read it. It's a book that I'll definitely reread. In fact, this series is a series that I want to bring to my new house and keep, because it's that precious a title.

Seriously. Don't be fooled by the movie. Just... read the book. At least it's not as draggy as LOTR. Sorry LOTR... there is a reason why you are still in the stash of incomplete books.

No comments:

Post a Comment