Thursday, January 30, 2014

Book Review (7): India Black - Madam of Espionage

Been a LONG while since I last reviewed. I meant to write this review as soon as I was done with the book, but I never got around to finishing it. (Note to self: Always finish the review when you're done with a book.)

Back to what I was saying. I was ploughing through Anne of Green Gables, which is a really lovely book to read when you don't want any of those fantastic twists. Then, a random decision to go to the library brought me to this book.



India Black - Madam of Espionage
Carol K. Carr

Story Sypnosis (in my own words): India Black is an intelligent and charming owner of a brothel, and minds her own business, technically. However, a death of a high-ranked customer in her premises led her on a spy-filled journey where she suddenly becomes a spy for the British government. Don't worry, there'll be a handsome gentleman who will spice the story up for you.

-------

It's a rather difficult concept to accept - not because of the plot's complexity, but because it's really, really hard to imagine a courtesan being a government spy. Which brings me to:

1. Preface
If you usually skip the prefaces, I suggest you read this one. It is a snarky but funny introduction of the book, narrated by India Black herself. In the preface she did mention the laughable possibility of a whore being a government spy, but once she explains the resourcefulness of a prostitute, it all makes sense. She also draws some parallels too-close-for-comfort.

All in all, the preface was the determining factor for me to continue reading the book, which goes to show how easily one can win over a reader with just a simple preface.

2. India Black as a protagonist
Snarky. That's it. I really enjoyed her character and how she tries to explain things in her opinion. To the eyes of French and the other men and 'bints' in the story, India was a calm and composed woman who knew how to get what she wants. If you read on, you know that she is very talkative in her own head.

The book was written in a first person narrative. I'm usually quite awkward with first person narratives because I feel that it limits the readers' perspective. However, the book was written in her perspective. That really shows the readers her true feelings, and it's rather funny. I kinda like her. She talks like a young adult who thinks that she is so educated. She has this arrogance yet sometimes behaves so immaturely. In fact, she at times reminded me so closely to one single character, that the only thing she lacked was 'Oh my'.

I had this thought about India Black and Anastasia Steele. I think that India Black's personality would be so perfect as Anastasia. For one, India Black has the bombastic words that EL James covets, but she delivers them so elegantly and not so... flippantly like Anastasia. Then again, the whole spiciness about 50 Shades of Grey is the fact that Ana is so innocent and pure... Who wants a shrewd virgin?

3. The world of Dickens
The story is set in the 19th century, UK. Dickens fans, hurray for you... Unless you are a HUGE Dickens fan, of course. You may then have your own standards. I'm not a huge Dickens fans, so I'm pretty cool with the whole Industrial period setting.


This was totally what I had in mind when I was reading the book.

-------
I've got an interesting thing that I dislike in this book.

1. I. Really. Dislike. Parentheses. (yeah. like those brackets around the words that you see.)

Remind me, not to do that to you guys (unless you really like it, then let me know). I mean, what is the point? Why can't you just write them out in sentences? Parentheses served to provide extra information (or a quick and suitable remark). However, I found it utterly distracting. Parentheses are littered everywhere in the story (even during the preface!). It's really hard to read something (anything!) when a stupid parenthesis comes and stands in your way.

Sometimes it works (sometimes it doesn't). Now that I've experienced it as a reader, I'm definitely going to cut down on that. And now that you've experienced it (refer to above paragraph), are you sure you want to do it on your own story?

2. Attraction between India and French
Simple question. Where is it??

I was quite bummed out. I thought there would be some romance or flirting between the two of them. But nada. Maybe the sequel might appease me. Then again, I appreciate that the protagonists didn't get it on immediately, unlike that of Maria V Snyder. No offense, I love Maria V Snyder!

-------
Rating: Consider it.

A cute read to put by your bedside, but not that difficult to put down. Come to think of it, months after I've finished reading it, I don't feel like picking it up again. Not even the sequel. Whatever it is, it's not in my priority list. So you decide.

Pictures taken from:
India Black - Madam of Espionage
Picture of London

Disclaimer: Despite the official term, the above book review is not a wholesome and fully critical one. The book is merely reviewed and reflected on based on story writing skills and other literary elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment