Sunday, February 17, 2013

Book Review (5): Eon/Eona

I admit.

When I first saw the two books side by side each other last year, I sniggered to my friend. "Can they get more boring with their sequel books?"

But with encouragement from a friend, I finally got the book, "Eon".


Eon/Eon Duology
Alison Goodman

Story Sypnosis (in my own words): Eona was a candidate to be a dragoneye, key leaders who held powers of the 12 dragons in their world. Problem is that Eona is actually posing as a boy, Eon. When the Mirror Dragon, missing from 500 years, chose Eona to be its Dragoneye, Eona faced many difficulties trying to cover up her true identity.

-----

I wasn't expecting much from this book, so I only bought Eon. Truth be told, as a child I would buy the entire series but as I grew up, I realised that I began to be quite choosy with my books. I admit that I have some series in my bookshelf that weren't touched because I wasn't impressed with their first book (*cough* Anne of Green Gables... sorry for not liking such a classic!) So nowadays, I realised that I'd rather spend another time to go to the bookstore to get the sequel. It's better than to get the entire series in one go, only to find out that I didn't like the first book in the first place.

So the fact that I've read both Eon and its sequel Eona, you'd expect that I like it?

Well... yes, and no.

In general, I must say that I didn't love this book. It wasn't a bad read, but it's not really a book that I'll read again. So maybe borrow it from the library or something, but it's not necessary to own one copy.

The setting of the book was a fusion of the Chinese and Japanese culture. The land was ruled under an emperor. As a Chinese, I identified many, many oriental elements in this book. The 12 Dragons are from the Chinese Zodiac and the imperial court was very similar to that of the Eastern countries. Not a problem for me, but Westerners may take a while to take it all in, I suppose?

-----

Now, there were some annoying parts of the entire reading experience, and some parts that were simply great. So... I'm gonna start off with the good.

1. Amazing Protagonist

Meet Eona. She had the typical background - orphaned to unknown parents, rescued by her master to be a Dragoneye candidate. Just when I thought it was getting really normal-going... surprise surprise. I discovered her to be really... flawed. She lied constantly... and lied about lying. She had the biggest doubts of her ability and she lived in constant fear of having her true identity discovered.

In the sequel, more of her flaws surfaced (can't say more in case I spoil the story). You find that she is actually inching on Mary Sue at times, but ultimately, the author really brings Eona's character down. It's one of those books where you put down the book in the middle of it and go, "Dang, Eona, that was a dumb move." It's one of those moments that you think to yourself that protagonists aren't goody goody as you thought.

Do I like Eona? No, I don't. I really dislike her (and I have people who agree with me!), but I salute the author for making her so... different from a typical protagonist. There's a certain quality about Eona that is very different from other girls.



This is the best picture I can get of Eona, poor thing :P It's pretty accurate as how my mind sees it, all the way down to her twin swords.

2. Asian culture research, I give you props

As mentioned, the book was set in a fusion of Chinese and Japanese culture. From the clothing that people wear, to the rituals that people have, to the customs (such as bowing towards the senior) and the setting of the imperial court and the emperor's monarchy... you know this author really did enough research. As a Chinese I don't go all, "Pooh! This is all crap!", so you know it's not that ridiculous.

3. Conflicts of beliefs

This book played the dangerous card of conflicting beliefs. The theme of power versus compassion was dominant in the book, and Eona constantly struggles at the fine line between both. That means, this book is kinda philosophical and all. Not everything is as black-and-white as we like.

Well, seeing how similar this is with "I Want To Be A Turk!" and "Days of Exile", I gotta say, I'm quite intrigued with how the author deals with the conflicting beliefs. And she did it quite well. I really suck at writing philosophical chapters, so I wonder how did I survive explaining why Meia could be a Turk even though she disliked what they did...

Alas, that's all the goodies I have for this book, so let the baddies begin :X

4. Love Triangles... AGAIN?

First it was Twilight. Then it was Hunger Games. Now this. And in all three series, the female protagonist was deeply swayed by the third party. Okay, maybe not so in Eon/Eona but still there is! I doubt I really need to explain more about love triangles. I mean it's great, but I've been reading too many of those. This is just a personal complaint.

5. Yes, Eona does get annoying.

Another personal complaint of mine. She lies and she harps too much about her lying, her unworthiness and her flaws. Honestly, I quite liked the experience of disliking Eona. This book gave me my first - I've never disliked a protagonist till now. Previously, I had absolutely no issues with any protagonists. Now I know. It was quite a novel experience.

In fact, I liked it so much I kinda incorporated it into my own story. As some of you have commented, my recent chapter, Chapter 20 of Days of Exile, Meia did some things that you are not fully agreeable with. Well, that's great. Enjoy the feeling of 'Oh man, why did you do that you nincompoop!!"

So... I disliked Eona, yet I liked the experience. Is that a compliment for the book? You decide.

---

Rating: Consider It

Yeah, it's not a book that'll change your life, but it's not too bad if you are willing to read it in an unbiased manner.

Have you read the book before? What do you think?

The pictures above were shamelessly taken from these websites:
- http://www.thereadventurer.com/1/post/2012/7/three-heads-are-better-than-one-or-two-is-there-hope-for-ya-fantasy.html
- http://veari.deviantart.com/art/Eona-257692864


Disclaimer: Despite the official term, the above book review is not a wholesome and fully critical one. The book is merely reviewed and reflected on based on story writing skills and other literary elements.

2 comments:

  1. "That means, this book is kinda philosophical and all."

    Even in Naruto and Warcraft I learn about philosophy of peace. I guess fiction can be really an eye-opener :)

    ReplyDelete