Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Storytelling

I was rereading my previous blog entry and I'm pretty appalled at my writing. It looked like I didn't even proofread. I was tired, I admit.

At my workplace, there are many children. So sometimes when I'm done with my work, I'll gather them and once they're seated, I'll tell them a story. Well, that is not something that I've always been doing. Truth be told, today is the second time I did that.

Now, I do tell stories to children, but they're usually established stories like Greek Mythology and Fairy Tales.



A bunch of immoral Gods, nutcase animals and kidnapped princesses... 
What can be better than that?

Those two are my personal favourites in my reading repertoire, and these two are my field of expertise, if I can boast. This time, when I told a story, it was a completely original story. The worst thing is that I create them on the fly. So half the time I didn't really understand what I was talking about, and half the time my brain is going fullspeed trying to come up with a coherent storyline.

I tell you, the challenge is exhilarating, and thank goodness they are too young to challenge my incoherence. I do cliffhangers so that they are excited to hear more the next time. Then again, because I'm thinking how the story as I go, I can see them getting bored as I figured my way around the story. Moral of the story? Plan out the story, at least.

That being said, allow me to tell you the story. It is "The Adventures of Mr. Superbean", depicting a superhero, Mr. Superbean, that loves to eat beans. And there's a baddie named, Mr. Broccoli, who hates beans but loves broccoli (what a surprise!). Meanwhile, there's a girl named Angela who hates beans but likes broccoli. So one day, Mr. Broccoli kidnapped Angela and kept her in a dark cave.
(I ended the story at that moment and continued a few days after.)

When no one came to rescue her, Angela decided that she'll find her way out of the cave. While doing so, she stumbled upon a large rock but could not see what it is because it is so dark. She picked it up and when she escaped from the cave, she saw that it was not an ordinary rock but a rock that is sparkling red.



The colour is something like that, but just that it's not nails, obviously!

She continued to traverse her way back to town, where she bumped into Mr. Superbean. Not having met before, Mr. Superbean was about to walk away when he saw the rock in her hands. It was the Sparkling Bean, Mr. Superbean's ultimate weapon. Mr. Broccoli had stolen it from him last year and he had been looking for it ever since. Mr. Superbean asked Angela to help him. Mr. Broccoli has a mega plan to build an army of children to control the town. After a moment of deciding, Angela agreed to help Mr. Superbean and together they walked to...
(and again, I ended the story. This is where I left off.)

Funnily, as I'm recapping the story on this blog, I am forming my ending already. So guess what? Perhaps I can complete the story in two more installations and then... I intend to publish it. It's a little informal to upload it here, so I thought maybe I'll do it on Fictionpress. Also, once I'm done with telling the story, I'll type it out, get some children to draw and colour, and publish it as a book. So the children in my workplace can read it whenever they want.

If I upload it on Fictionpress, will you guys support me by reading and reviewing?

Well, I'm done here. Back to doing my work. :) In other news, my fingers are peeling. Why?
(proceeds to reach for the moisturiser)

Signing out,
aichioluv

Picture credits (for I've shamelessly taken them off Google):
1. http://themoraltimes.com/?p=3163
2. http://balticmissionarymemories.blogspot.sg/2012/11/sigulda-place-of-fairy-tales.html
3. http://liquidjelly.blogspot.sg/2012/09/red-velvet-triaccents.html

1 comment:

  1. "f I upload it on Fictionpress, will you guys support me by reading and reviewing?"

    I will!!!

    ReplyDelete